TMJ Therapy in Long Valley, NJ
What is a TMJ Disorder?
A TMJ disorder, also known as TMD, is a common issue that involves pain or discomfort in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), which is located near the ear and acts as part of the hinge in the jaw. One prominent sign that you could be suffering from a TMJ disorder is if you hear popping or clicking noises while you eat, speak, or yawn.
What Causes TMD?
The TMJ is located in a complicated area, and the joint itself is also very complex because it can support a horizontal and vertical motion while being cushioned by cartilage and a shock-absorbing disk. For this reason, there can be many causes of TMD.
For example, if the disk erodes or becomes misaligned, movement in your jaw might become jagged and unpredictable. TMD might also arise if the joint-protecting cartilage erodes and no longer provides proper cushion.
Clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth (bruxism) can create tension in your face, neck, and shoulders. Prolonged tension in these areas can lead to muscle spasms, intensifying your TMD symptoms.
Symptoms of TMD
If you experience the following symptoms, there may be an issue with your TMJ:
- Soreness in the jaw
- Inflammation in the jawbone or joint
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Aching face and jaw
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
If you think you might be suffering from TMD, we encourage you to contact our office at (908) 850-0506. Dr. Rogler has the training and expertise needed to remedy your issue and restore your livelihood.
TMD Treatment Options
Mild cases of TMD can resolve themselves over time, but we don’t recommend leaving it up to chance. At Rogler Family Dentistry, we feature an array of treatments to help relieve your discomfort and improve the condition of your jaw, including:
- Custom Night Guard: Since TMD is often caused by teeth grinding or clenching, we can use a custom-fit mouth guard to prevent the upper and lower teeth from touching while you sleep.
- Massage Exercises: Gently massaging the TMJ areas a couple of times a day can reduce some of the discomforts. We can show you how to do this without irritating the area and causing a flair up.
- Diet Evaluation: We can also help you analyze your diet to determine if any particular foods may be too difficult to chew, making the problem worse. For example, tough meats and nuts can require forceful chewing, which places stress on the joints.
We Can Relieve Your Pain
Living with a clicking jaw that causes pain every time you want to eat or speak is no way to live. It’s time to find a solution, and we can help!
To learn more about your treatment options, call our office, and schedule a consultation with Dr. Rogler. You can also send us a message through the form on the contact page to speak with a member of the Rogler Family Dentistry staff.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2015
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2015
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2015
About our business, license, and website security
- Rogler Family Dentistry was established in 1983
- We accept the following payment methods: Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Morris County and Warren County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Long Valley , Chester, Hacketts Town , Beattys Town, Califon, Mount Olive, Budd Lake, and Flanders
- New Jersey State Board of Dentistry (License #22DI01025300). View License Information and Specifics
- National Provider Identifier Database (1184717613). View NPI Registry Information
- Healthgrades. View Background Information and Reviews
- Website Safety Ratings and Reputation – AVG Threat Labs. View Details
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of TMJ-Dentist