When planning your implant dentistry procedure, it is important to understand what the process entails. Dental implants are an excellent way to replace a missing tooth because it is a durable and strong way to do so. Unlike other cosmetic dentistry procedures, implants do not rely on the strength of other teeth to stay in place. Instead, a new root system is created so that the new synthetic tooth can be as strong and secure as a natural tooth would be. This is excellent because if any of the surrounding teeth become damaged, the implant will not be impacted.
The new root system is created when the dentist implants a metal post under your gums and secures that post to your jaw bone. This is the most important part of the procedure because it allows osseointegration to take place where the metal and bone fuse together. A few months will go by before this process is complete, but the wait is worth it since your tooth will be as secure as a natural one would be.
Implant dentistry procedures have a surgical element because the metal post is implanted under the gums surface. As an expert dentist, we make our patients as comfortable as possible but there is still some recovery that must take place at home. Gums can be sore for the first couple of days and may even bleed a little. There are ways you can speed up the recovery process so here is what you need to know.
- Stop the bleeding. While a little bleeding is common, it can still be frustrating. The best way to stop it is by applying a moist tea bag to the area or using gauze. Both are effective, and you will probably only need to use them for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Reduce the swelling. Apply a cold compress or ice pack to your face or jaw for fifteen minutes at a time. This will reduce any swelling that you may have and help you to feel more comfortable overall. Be sure to cover the ice pack before using it to avoid irritating your skin.
- Take pain medication. We will prescribe pain medication for you to use. This will help you to stay comfortable during your recovery so be sure to take it as directed.
- Drink water. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water after your procedure. This is important for avoiding dry mouth. Simultaneously, avoid sugary drinks like soda and juice that are bad for your teeth.
- Take the time to rest. Many people try to get back to normal life too quickly. Getting dental implants is a major procedure so take the time to rest. This will allow your body to focus on healing instead of spending energy running errands or going to work. Just a few days off will help you to heal faster and feel better.
Implant Dentistry is the best way to replace a missing tooth for people that want to lead an active and unrestricted lifestyle. The key is to take it easy for a few days so that your implants can heal, and there is no risk of them getting bumped or pushed out of place.
Visiting an implant dentist can help you regain complete use of your teeth and prevent further issues. Implant DentistAs an implant dentist, we can provide you with a sturdy, effective and long-lasting dental implant. Dental implants …
As an implant dentist in Long Valley, we can replace your dentures and provide you with a much more secure solution – dental implants. If you are currently wearing dentures and always afraid that they …
With the dental implant procedure, you will regain a perfect smile with full functionality of your teeth. The Dental Implant ProcedureWe ensure that the dental implant procedure is painless for the patient. We will go over …
Dental crowns are necessary for a variety of cases. Below, we explain each of these instances in detail to help patients determine when a dental crown will prove helpful. Give this piece a read and …